Learn today, lead tomorrow
Our career support will help you develop the confidence you need to feel prepared from the moment you step into the interview room.
The practical focus of our courses will give you the skills and knowledge employers are looking for. You’ll interact with businesses from the moment you start your course. Find out about graduate opportunities and learn what recruiters look for.
You’ll be in high demand. Britain’s top employers target Bath’s graduates.
Our aim is to get you ready for the next step of your professional journey. We have a dedicated careers team and offer career training for all our MSc students.
Your career support includes:
A dedicated careers advisor
You’ll have access to a dedicated careers advisor who will support you through every step of your job search. Through regular personal meetings your advisor will:
- identify your strengths and interests
- help you make job applications
- help you practise interviews and assessment centre activities
Customised career workshops
Experienced career advisors and graduate recruiters deliver our workshops. This will give you insight into what employers are really looking for. They cover all aspects of the recruitment process. You’ll get help with:
- cover letters
- online applications
- interviews and interview practice
- assessment centres
- support for aptitude tests including maths refresher courses
- skills development
You’ll also improve your teamwork, presentation and networking skills. These are essential for success on your course, for making job applications and once you start work.
Support for international students
Our careers team provides support specifically for international students. This includes:
Support for your job search in the UK
- If you want an internship, we can help you find and apply for one to start after your course
- We’ll provide you with information on getting your work permit sponsored, both on the new points-based system and the Graduate Visa (Post-study work visa). You’ll get up to date information on where to apply, and how to maximise your success
Support for your job search outside the UK
- We have regular webinars with global employers to promote graduate opportunities. We also run Virtual Careers Fairs focused on different sectors and locations. Meet global employers and get prepared for your international job search
- We run an International Careers week with the University Careers service
- We also organise annual careers fairs and networking events in China and Southeast Asia
- You’ll benefit from our network of over 21,000 supportive alumni working in over 130 countries worldwide
Support for entrepreneurs
Entrepreneurship is a key theme at Bath. Many University of Bath graduates go on to become entrepreneurs and business innovators.
The Students’ Union and Bath SETsquared support student-led entrepreneurial activities. These include:
We have a network of over 300 companies from a range of industries. You’ll have many chances to work with leading organisations throughout your MSc. Getting involved in extracurricular activities enhances your CV and helps you get the most out of your degree.
The Practice Track is an alternative to the traditional dissertation. This summer group project currently consists of:
- The Company Consulting Project. You will work in teams to solve a real business problem for one of our corporate partners. At the end of the project, you’ll present your work to the company
- The Action Project. In the same teams, you will work with a local charity to create a brief and deliver your fundraising idea
- an individual report. Focus on a specific management theme and reflect on how it worked for you
You’ll get experience of running team projects and of creating and managing a brief. You’ll also get training in project and client management, and presentation skills.
Previous corporate partners include Mars, Unilever, Deloitte and KPMG.
The Practice Track is available for students studying:
- MSc in Accounting and Finance
- MSc in Finance
- MSc in Finance with Banking
- MSc in Finance with Risk Management
- MSc in International Management
- MSc in Management
- MSc in Marketing
- MSc in Sustainability and Management
You’ll have lots of options to work with companies throughout your course. By taking part in our career-based activities, you will:
- learn about international organisations, their work culture and what they look for when recruiting
- meet senior staff
- develop your skills in team-working, communication, project management and more
- learn about graduate opportunities
Get business ready and gain practical experience with these opportunities:
The Big Team Challenge
All MSc students work with one of our Employability Partners on an activity during the first two weeks of your course. Past students have worked in teams to solve business challenges and presented solutions to partner companies.
This is a great opportunity to interact with industry experts and to get to know other students before teaching starts.
This is for all MSc students.
Future Business Challenge
Get out of the classroom and put your learning into practice. This week-long competition involves working in teams to analyse what makes a business resilient.
- visit and learn from a variety of organisations, including multi-nationals and start-ups
- discuss the challenges these organisations face with business leaders
- learn about companies’ cultures and how businesses operate
- network with employers and alumni
- present your findings to a panel of judges
Companies previously involved in the Future Business Challenge include Google, IBM, Bloomberg, EY, PwC, Divine Chocolate, Rolls-Royce, BMW, Dyson, Arup and Mars.
All MSc students can apply to take part in the Future Business Challenge, although spaces are limited.
This team-working challenge supports charities and disadvantaged groups in our local community. You’ll work with a mentor from one of our corporate partners.
As well as making a difference, you’ll develop key skills like team-working and problem-solving.
Over six weeks, you will:
- develop social media campaigns
- conduct market research to help launch new charity appeals
- plan and deliver events for service users
- produce promotional videos and materials
All MSc students have the option to take part in the Community Challenge.
Put your entrepreneurial skills to the test. In a team, you’ll develop a business model. You’ll then pitch your ideas to our graduate entrepreneurs and industry experts.
If you then want to further develop your idea, you can work with mentors from the University’s Innovation Centre.
All MSc students have the option to take part in the Entrepreneurship Challenge (except MSc in Entrepreneurship and Management).
Over 21,000 School of Management graduates make up our alumni network. It is a great source of support, advice and information. You’ll also have access to the University’s wider alumni network of over 120,000 graduates. We have more than 24 groups worldwide that help our alumni connect and keep climbing together.
Industry Insight events
Our graduates return to discuss their career and give advice on working in different sectors. You’ll find out about roles, organisations and company cultures.
- events cover a range of industries (like supply chain, marketing or HR)
- find out what working at specific companies is actually like
- learn what strengths and skills employers are looking for
- see what sort of companies and roles will suit you best
- get tips on making successful applications
- hear about out what it’s like to work in the UK and globally
You will have the opportunity to be mentored by an MBA student or MSc graduate. They will have worked in a role, company or location that you are targeting for your job search.