Overly nervous in social situations? Hate being the centre of attention? This course could help you manage social anxiety and connect more easily with others.
Connect More is a short course for students with social anxiety. It'll help you deal with the discomfort of social situations so you can start connecting more with others.
The course takes place over five weeks. You'll start with two or three one-to-one sessions with a therapist. You'll then take part in three group sessions with other course participants.
During the course, you will:
- understand social anxiety and how unhelpful thoughts and behaviours maintain it
- learn tools from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for managing social anxiety
- practise interacting with others in a supportive setting.
Connect More is not group therapy. You don’t have to disclose difficult feelings or speak at all if that feels too much. That said, we’ll gently encourage you to take part as we know it’s one of the best ways to make progress.
Who is the course for?
This course is for you if you feel fearful in social situations such as making small talk or meeting new people. Or you find yourself avoiding interactions - from being in a shared kitchen to speaking up in lectures. It could also help if you feel overly worried about what others think of you.
The course is not suitable if you have severe social anxiety or another significant mental health problem or you are at high risk. In that case, please arrange an appointment with a Wellbeing Adviser to talk through other ways we can help.
What participants say
- "I feel better equipped to deal with situations that cause anxiety and can more confidently interact."
- "My confidence has grown and I’m better at facing my fears."
- "I found it really useful in overcoming anxiety."
Dates of group sessions
- Mon 14 Nov, 2-3.30pm
- Mon 21 Nov, 2-3.30pm
- Mon 28 Nov, 2-3.30pm
Request a place
Use the link below to request a place on the course. We'll get in touch to arrange a short call to tell you more about the course and check it's a good option for you.