To take part, you must:
- be between 18 and 65 years old
- have a complete or incomplete SCI below T2 and more than one year post-injury
You'll need to visit the University of Bath on four separate occasions.
On your first visit, we will collect some baseline measurements including running a fitness assessment. We will then give you a small physical activity monitor to wear for a week to check you are able to participate. This visit will last approximately three hours.
On the following three visits, we will ask you to perform different bouts of arm-cranking exercise, all of which will be followed by a meal tolerance test whilst you rest in bed. Each of these visits will last approximately eight hours. You might want to bring your favourite book or films to these sessions.
What you'll get
Participants who are eligible and complete the full requirements of the study will receive:
- a monetary reward of £210 on completion of all four study visits as a thank you for taking part
- individualised feedback regarding their cardiovascular fitness and physical activity levels, blood tests results (e.g. cholesterol, glucose, and insulin), and resting energy requirements
- reimbursement of travel expenses