What's involved in the study
Participation involves completion of an online questionnaire about your social and emotional functioning and one or two site visits to the University of Bath or the University of Exeter. All participants will need to complete one 3 hour site visit involving computer tasks and measurement of electrical brain activity using an electroencephalogram (EEG). Participants reporting diagnosed or suspected PTSD will also need to complete an additional site visit where they will undergo an assessment of their PTSD symptoms.
To be eligible to participate in this study you must:
- be aged 18 and over with typical or corrected-to-normal vision and hearing
- be free of heart problems or previous heart surgery
- be able to travel to the University of Bath or Exeter for a site visit
We are seeking either:
- individuals with PTSD
- individuals without PTSD who have had a traumatic experience(s) in the past
- individuals without a history of PTSD or trauma
There are a small number of additional inclusion and exclusion criteria which we will check with the participant during an initial phone conversation.
What you'll get for taking part
You will be reimbursed for your time to the value of £8.00 an hour if you participate in the main study visits. In some cases, we may also be able to assist with travel costs up to the value of £50.00.
All information collected about you during the study will be kept strictly confidential within the research team, and will be made anonymous once data collection is complete. This study has received ethical approval.1