You can improve your language and communication skills or learn something new, including practical skills like interview techniques and CV writing.
Make yourself employable
Make most of your opportunities at Bath to develop the key skills and experience you need to find and start your future career.
Coming to Bath is not just about studying and doing research. By making the most of the opportunities available here, you’ll gain experience and skills which will help you plan your career path and increase your employability.
We can help you make the important decisions about the type of career you want. By the time you graduate, you should have an idea of what you want to do and know the steps you need to take.
We’re ranked 13th for the universities most often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers1
89% of our employed UK full-time first-degree graduates are in the top three occupational groups2
The majority of our undergraduates choose a placement or to study abroad3
Take advantage of our strong links with industry and take a placement as part of your studies. You have the option to do one or more professional or industrial placements on all of our undergraduate course areas 4/5/6 .
On a placement, you can get practical experience and gain transferable skills at the same time as learning about working in the private or public sector. This can help you make more informed choices about your future career and you can include it on your CV as work experience.
Studying abroad as part of your undergraduate degree gives you a new set of challenges that can enhance your employability, making you more marketable to employers as you develop your communication, problem-solving and analytical skills.
In addition to those skills, you can learn a new language in the place where it is spoken.
The Bath Award highlights many qualities that employers look for, including:
- communication skills
- project management
You can enrol on the Bath Award whether you're an undergraduate or postgraduate student. It appears on your degree transcript as evidence of extracurricular personal development.
Our dedicated Careers Services can offer advice on your career plan and help you get in contact with employers.
- information on employment and further study
- individual guidance and assistance with career choices
- workshops to develop your employability skills, including CV writing, interviews, applications and aptitude testing
- information on job vacancies and a full programme of careers fairs on campus
As a student, you will be able to search for a contact in a particular industry or graduation year and send a request to connect.
- The Graduate Market in 2019
- Compared to 74% of employed graduates nationally – data from HESA Destinations of Leavers from higher education 2016/17
- Over two-thirds of Bath-based students graduated from a course with a placement or study abroad option in the 2017/18 academic year
- Based on undergraduate courses starting in the 2019/20 academic year
- Social Work, Pharmacy and FdSc Addictions Counselling have mandatory work-based learning as part of the degree, not year placements
- FdSc Sport (Sports Performance) has a placement when taken with a Bachelors top-up