Invest in your future. Discover your potential. Lead your career.
Our new MA in International Higher Education Management (IHEM) is one of a few Master’s degrees focusing on higher education management in a global context. We’ve designed this course for higher education professionals who want to progress to senior leadership positions.
Starting on 18 May 2020, the MA IHEM is a part-time two-year course. A blend of online and face-to-face learning, it combines two residentials in Bath with online learning, and assessment.
We want to help shape the next-generation of higher education management leaders. You will:
- Learn how internationalisation impacts the daily challenges of managing a modern university
- Discover, share and examine best practice from around the world
- Equip yourself with the skills to improve management at your own institution
We want to inspire our graduates to push for change throughout the higher education sector.
We want to give you the practical skills and experience to advance your career. Instead of a traditional dissertation, you’ll do a six-month international consultancy project. You might want to look at an issue at your own institution or you might find someone on the course who can help get you access to work in a different country. This will allow you to apply best practice and demonstrate your expertise.
We’ve designed a programme of taught units to help you to become a more effective leader. Subjects include big data analytics, research and teaching management, and managing change. See below for more information.
Higher education management is a specialist field. You will be taught by experienced higher education managers from our International Centre for Higher Education Management (ICHEM) and the Bath DBA.
Research from ICHEM impacts higher education across the globe. It brings together higher education experts from over 25 countries. They work with governments, higher education institutions and international organisations to create positive change. ICHEM researches innovative management strategies to prepare tomorrow’s higher education leaders, including our new class of MA students.
The MA IHEM is structured to fit around the commitments of a modern higher education professional. This part-time course is delivered online and through two 12-day residential visits. This gives you the flexibility you need to study and work full-time.
We’ve designed the course to give you real and relevant experience. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to apply what you learn to your work. Take the theory and apply it to your work.
A modern way of learning
Study online in-between residentials.
The MA IHEM will focus on online, collaborative, problem-based learning. Our e-learning platform will let you work at your own pace. You’ll be able to access learning materials, webinars and tutorials and interact with tutors. The MA IHEM is all about collaboration. You will work with your peers on projects and receive guidance and support from your tutors.
During the course, you will attend two 12-day residentials. These teaching blocks will take place in Bath. Each residential will focus on a specific theme, and you’ll learn about the latest research and practice.
Residential one units
- Understanding Strategy and Risk in International Higher Education Management
- Planning and Resource Mobilisation in Higher Education
Residential two units
- Managing Internationalisation in Higher Education.
You will also pick one out of three units. These include:
- Innovation and Change Management in Higher Education
- Big Data and IT Governance in Higher Education
- Managing and Enhancing Teaching and Research
There’s a real sense of community and friendly atmosphere in Bath and on our campus. The city has a rich history, famous for its Roman Baths and Georgian architecture. Bath is surrounded by beautiful countryside. Why not extend your stay after the residential and see what Bath has to offer?
Make friends, make connections
The residentials are a great way to develop your professional network. Work with our experts and build relationships with your coursemates. Creating connections is a key focus of our residentials.
A satisfactory record of extended and responsible work experience with no less than five years’ post-graduation full-time employment in a relevant role in higher education.
At least one of:
- a first or second class honours degree, or international equivalent, awarded by an approved institution
- a relevant postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate awarded by an approved institution
We will also require a strong GMAT score from:
- candidates who do not have a degree, but have ten or more years' experience working in higher education, including some at a managerial level
- candidates who do not have five years' experience working in higher education, but have strong academic qualifications and other relevant experience
Students whose first language is not English must have:
- an International English Language Test System (IELTS) score of at least 7.0 overall. Your scores for reading, writing, listening and speaking must be at least 6.5
If you would like to discuss the entry requirements, please contact Dr Dan Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Course fees for the MA in International Higher Education Management are:
- Home and EU - £8,000 a year
- Overseas - £9,000 a year
If you are an EU student starting in 2019, your fee will not change. From 2020 fees may change depending on the outcome of Brexit negotiations. Read the University’s latest Brexit advice for EU students.
You can apply for a scholarship to support your studies. It will cover up to 40% of your total course fees.
You'll need to submit a statement no more than 500 words. A panel of faculty members will consider your application based on:
- the potential contributions you will make to higher education management practice at your institution through the course
- your financial need or other circumstances that might prevent you from taking part
- partnerships you or your institution have with the University of Bath or the School of Management. This includes international activities
The first round of scholarships will be considered in December 2019. You must submit your scholarship application by 24 November 2019.
A second round of scholarships will be considered in April 2020. You must submit your scholarship application by 27 March 2020.
You must complete the scholarship form and upload it with your MA IHEM application.
Register your interest and we'll let you know about scholarships and any course updates.