University of Bath

Vaccinations you need for University

Stay healthy at University by getting the vaccinations recommended by the UK Government’s Department of Health. Find out which ones you should have.

Man talking to doctor in consultation room
Talk to your doctor and find out what vaccinations you'll need

Getting your vaccinations

Before you come to University, you should have been vaccinated against certain diseases. We strongly advise that you consider having these vaccinations before coming to Bath.

If you haven't had all the vaccinations, you can get them at our medical centre. All you need to do is register with the centre when you get here and you can arrange to get them done.

Register with the medical centre

Vaccinations you should have

The UK Government's Department of Health recommends that you should have vaccinations for:

  • meningitis (MenACWY)
  • diphtheria
  • measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
  • polio
  • tetanus

There may be other vaccinations that are not on the list, so you should check with a doctor.

UK students

If you are from the UK, you might have had some vaccinations as a child as part of a National Immunisation Programme. Talk to your doctor to find out which you have had and if there are any you need to get before you come here.

If you have been immunised against meningitis, you need to check if you have had MenACWY as it has not always been a part of the National Immunisation Programme. The MenACWY vaccine is not the same as Meningitis C.

You should talk to your doctor and arrange to have MenACWY before you come to Bath.

Find out more about meningitis and the MenACWY immunisation

International students

If you are from outside the UK, you will need to be vaccinated against the diseases listed.

You should be vaccinated for tuberculosis (TB) before you enter the UK. If you are applying for a Tier 4 visa, you might also need to be tested for tuberculosis. Find out more about tuberculosis tests for visa applicants.

Talk to your doctor about any other vaccinations you might need to come to the UK. You should also check with your local embassy to find out if you are legally required to get any vaccines before coming to the UK.

We recommend you get your vaccinations before you leave home. If you get your vaccinations in the UK, you may have to pay for some of them.

If you have any evidence of your vaccinations, like an International Vaccination Book, bring it with you to university.

Find out more about getting healthcare in the UK