Department of European Studies & Modern Languages, Unit Catalogue 2007/08
EU10698 Cambridge first certificate in English examination class
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims: To prepare students for Cambridge First Certificate examination (taking the Cambridge examination at the end of the unit is optional and separate from the unit's assessment).
Having successfully completed this unit students will:
* have reached a level of English equivalent to level B2 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
* have a wide grasp of vocabulary
* be able to construct an argument and use appropriate communication styles for a variety of situations
* show an awareness of register and of the conventions of politeness and degrees of formality as they are expressed through language
* be able to deal with routine letters and telephone enquiries, and to cope with some non-academic training courses and simple textbooks and articles in English
* be able to write simple letters and other texts.
Having successfully completed this unit students will be better able to:
* learn independently.
This integrated language course covers the four language skills and includes the following:
* Reading authentic texts
* Focus on register recognition
* Vocabulary development
* Oral discussion
* Writing compositions, letters and other texts
* Examination practice.