Foreign Languages Centre, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
FL10161 German stage 3 semester 1 (3 credits)
| Credits: 3 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims: The course aims to provide students with extensive additions to their vocabulary and to develop linguistic competence in all skill areas.
On completion of the course students will be able to
* Interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity in a variety of contexts.
* Give a prepared straightforward presentation on a topic of personal interest or of general or cultural relevance.
* Take follow up questions and ask for clarification or repetition if necessary.
* Understand the gist of authentic audio material, such as news broadcasts and advertisements.
* Understand authentic texts on familiar topics without dependence on a dictionary.
* Express ideas and opinions and relate experiences in connected text.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
The course consolidates previously acquired language structures and skills and develops the four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing. More complex language structures, specific to the target language, such as conditional tenses, the passive and conjunctions, are introduced to help learners access authentic material. Discussion of a variety of general knowledge topics extends learners' ability in expressing and disputing opinions and encourages spontaneous responses.