Foreign Languages Centre, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
FL10236 Russian stage 1 semester 1 (3 credits)
| Credits: 3 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims: The course aims to provide the linguistic foundation enabling students to acquire the basic functional language and skills necessary for communication in predictable everyday situations. The course provides basic cultural information and introduces students to some social convention of the country/ countries where the target language is spoken.
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
* Take part in a basic factual conversation.
* Deal with routine questions and statements.
* Understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of immediate relevance.
* Read straightforward information within a known area.
* Write notes, complete forms and write short paragraphs reproducing given phrases and applying new grammatical structures encountered.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
The course introduces the students to the basic elements of the target language through the four core skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, including the Cyrillic alphabet, reproducing typical scenarios and situations experienced when visiting or receiving visitors from a country where the target language is spoken, for example, providing basic personal and family information, local geography and employment. It follows a graded programme of study familiarising participants with a number of fundamental linguistic structures specific to the target language.