Foreign Languages Centre, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
FL30180 French stage 6 semester 1 (3 credits)
| Credits: 3 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims: The course aims to develop a sophisticated use of language, both orally and in writing.
On completion of the course students will be able to
* Engage with relative ease in spoken interaction on complex and abstract topics using an appropriate range of grammatical structures, vocabulary and discourse markers.
* Relate their presentations and contributions in a discussion to those of other speakers with a degree of confidence.
* Understand most of the implications and intentions of spoken language, including humour and irony, delivered in a range of accents and registers.
* Understand without too much effort a range of styles, registers and nuances of speech.
* Understand without too much effort lengthy texts in most registers, with recourse to reference materials for specialised topics.
* Write clearly in a range of appropriate styles on complex topics in a range of genres.
* Write coherent, cohesive and accurate texts where errors and slips do not compromise the communicative effectiveness of the writing.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
This course provides a framework for developing a sophisticated use of language through use of challenging and interesting reading and audio-visual material to stimulate discussions and debates. Factual texts will extend students' knowledge and appreciation of various cultural, social, economic and political issues in countries where the target language is spoken.