Foreign Languages Centre, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
FL30185 Spanish stage 6 semester 2 (3 credits)
| Credits: 3 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims: The course aims to further develop a sophisticated use of language, both orally and in writing.
On completion of the course students will be able to
* Engage with ease in spoken interaction on complex and abstract topics using an appropriate range of grammatical structures, vocabulary and discourse markers.
* Relate their presentations and contributions in a discussion skilfully to those of other speakers.
* Understand most of the implications and intentions of spoken language, including humour and irony, delivered in a range of accents and registers and at any natural speed.
* Understand with relative ease most styles, registers and nuances of speech.
* Understand with relative ease lengthy texts in most registers, with recourse to reference materials for specialised topics.
* Write clearly in a range of appropriate styles on complex topics in a range of genres.
* Write coherent, cohesive and accurate texts where errors and slips do not compromise the communicative effectiveness of the writing.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
This course provides a framework for developing a sophisticated use of language through use of challenging and interesting reading and audio-visual material on topics not encountered in Semester 1 to stimulate discussions and debates. Factual texts will extend students' knowledge and appreciation of various cultural, social, economic and political issues in countries where the target language is spoken.