Department of Computer Science, Unit Catalogue 2009/10
CM10196: Discrete mathematics for computation
|Assessment:||CW 25%, EX 75%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||CM10196 Mandatory Extra Work (where allowed by programme regulations)|
To introduce students to a mathematical basis to support computer science in general and other Computer Science units in particular.
On completion of the unit the students will be able to:
1. understand and use the language of mathematics;
2. apply knowledge of appropriate discrete mathematics for computation.
Application of Number (T/F, A), Problem Solving (T/F, A).
* Propositional and predicate calculus (including basic logic).
* Sets and Relations (including Cartesian products).
* Mappings and functions (e.g. injective mappings, continuous functions).
* Integers and number (including fields and complex numbers).