|Owning Department/School:||Foreign Languages Centre|
|Level:||Certificate (FHEQ level 4)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Reassessment not allowed|
|Description:||NB. Students wishing to take this unit should visit the Foreign Languages Centre website for information regarding enrolment.|
This unit will only be available as part of the Community Courses programme, subject to viability. Availability is not therefore guaranteed.
The course aims to provide further consolidation of a more complex language system using authentic reading and listening materials whilst developing autonomous language use in all skill areas and extending students' cultural knowledge and awareness.
On completion of the course students will be able to:
* Give clear, systematically developed descriptions and presentations on topics of general, personal or cultural interest.
* Contribute to varied work and general discussions.
* Understand specific information contained in authentic audio material delivered in standard dialect.
* Read with a large degree of independence adapting style and speed of reading to different texts and purposes, and using appropriate reference sources selectively.
* Write clear detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to their field of interest.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
The course consolidates previously acquired language structures and skills and further develops the four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing. Reading and writing require the Cyrillic alphabet. In addition, more complex language structures, specific to the target language, will be introduced, including idioms. The course will cover specific information relevant to a country where the target language is spoken and current events, including political systems or regional differences.
FL10242 is a Generally Available Unit which is available to all students of the University (subject to the usual constraints) to take as an 'extra' unit which does not count towards a final award.Foreign Languages Centre