|Owning Department/School:||Foreign Languages Centre|
|Level:||Certificate (FHEQ level 4)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Reassessment not allowed|
|Description:||NB. Students wishing to take this unit should visit the Foreign Languages Centre website for information regarding enrolment.|
The course aims to provide students with extensive additions to their vocabulary and to develop linguistic competence in all skill areas.
On completion of the course students will be able to:
* Interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity in a variety of contexts.
* Give a prepared straightforward presentation on a topic of personal interest or of general or cultural relevance.
* Take follow up questions and ask for clarification or repetition if necessary.
* Interact in more familiar situations.
* Understand the gist and some details of audio material presented at natural speed on familiar topics using familiar vocabulary and structures.
* Read texts using Hiragana, Katakana and high frequency Chinese characters on everyday language topics, such as personal information and personal interests.
* Write notes, complete forms and short paragraphs using Hiragana, Katakana and some Chinese characters.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
The course consolidates previously acquired language structures and skills and develops the four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing. More complex language structures, specific to the target language, such as some modal verbs, conjunctions, comparisons, superlatives and additional forms of verbs are introduced to expand learners' speaking and listening skills. Classroom activities encourage spontaneous responses.
FL10256 is a Generally Available Unit which is available to all students of the University (subject to the usual constraints) to take as an 'extra' unit which does not count towards a final award.Foreign Languages Centre