|Owning Department/School:||Foreign Languages Centre|
|Level:||Certificate (FHEQ level 4)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Reassessment not allowed|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take FL10299 or equivalent.|
|Description:||NB. Students wishing to take this unit should visit the Foreign Languages Centre website for information regarding enrolment.|
The course aims to consolidate and extend language already acquired, for example in Stage 4 Semester 1, and to significantly improve students' vocabulary range, fluency and accuracy. It aims to increase their knowledge of the culture and geography of the country through appropriate reading and listening materials.
On completion of the course the students will be able to:
* Communicate confidently and with a degree of spontaneity on a range of situations;
* Taking an active part in conversations sustaining their views;
* Understand the gist and some detail of recorded or broadcast audio material on topics related to the culture and geography of the country and on current affairs when the delivery is relatively slow, clear and in standard dialect;
* Access more demanding texts with the help of a dictionary;
* Attempt simple discursive essays using a mixture of Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji.
Speaking, reading, listening and writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
The course consolidates previously acquired language structures and skills and further develops four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing by extending the students' active and passive vocabulary and cultural knowledge and understanding through the use of culturally relevant audio and topical audio and reading materials. The course develops students' accuracy through appropriate writing tasks. It develops fluency through appropriate classroom activities.
FL10300 is a Generally Available Unit which is available to all students of the University (subject to the usual constraints) to take as an 'extra' unit which does not count towards a final award.Foreign Languages Centre