|Owning Department/School:||Foreign Languages Centre|
|Level:||Intermediate (FHEQ level 5)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Reassessment not allowed|
|Description:||NB. Students wishing to take this unit should visit the Foreign Languages Centre website for information regarding enrolment.|
The course aims to further broaden students' skills to enable them to undertake spontaneous selection and adaptation of the language.
On completion of the course students will be able to:
* Express themselves fluently and spontaneously without obvious searching for expressions.
* Use language flexibly and effectively for social and professional purposes.
* Formulate ideas and opinions with a high degree of precision.
* Understand extended speech even when it is not clearly structured.
* Understand factual, discursive and literary texts, and some specialised texts aimed at the general reader, appreciating some distinctions of style.
* Express themselves in clear, well structured text, expressing points of view at some length.
* Write about complex subjects in a letter, an essay or a report, underlining what they consider to be the salient issues.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
This course will enable students to consolidate and develop previously acquired language structures and skills, using all four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing. Idiomatic use of the language is encouraged. The course will extend students' knowledge of social, cultural and political issues by introducing topics not encountered in Semester 1, with the help of up-to-date authentic reading and audio-visual material.
FL20177 is a Generally Available Unit which is available to all students of the University (subject to the usual constraints) to take as an 'extra' unit which does not count towards a final award.Foreign Languages Centre