|Owning Department/School:||Foreign Languages Centre|
|Level:||Intermediate (FHEQ level 5)|
|Assessment:||CW 40%, EX 60%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||FL20213 Re-assessment Work (where allowed by programme regulations)|
The course aims to consolidate and extend language already acquired, for example in Stage 4 Semester 1, and to significantly improve students' accuracy when writing, and fluency when speaking the target language, to extend their vocabulary range, including idiomatic expressions, and to introduce them to more complex authentic reading and listening texts, relevant to events and the culture of the country/ countries where the target language is spoken.
On completion of the course students will be able to:
* Communicate confidently and spontaneously in a wide range of situations.
* Take an active part in discussions accounting for and sustaining their views.
* Understand most TV news and current affairs programmes with some support.
* Read articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems in which the writers adopt particular attitudes and viewpoints.
* Write an essay or report, which develops an argument systematically with appropriate highlighting of significant points and relevant supporting detail.
* Write a review of a film, book or play.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
The course consolidates previously acquired language structures and skills and further develops the four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing by extending the students' active and passive vocabulary, including idioms, and cultural knowledge and understanding through the use of culturally relevant and topical audio and reading materials. The course develops students' accuracy through appropriate writing tasks. The course develops fluency, spontaneity and constructive reasoning through debates.
FL20213 is Optional on the following programmes:Foreign Languages Centre