This is an excellent opportunity to participate in monitoring the risk management, control, corporate governance, financial and other operations of the University. The Committee oversees the work of both the internal and external auditors. It meets five times a year, jointly with the External Auditor.
You will provide an independent, external overview of the processes in place and offer a supportive but challenging approach to the work of the Committee.
The Audit and Risk Assurance Committee reports to the University Council and is responsible for:
- upholding formal and transparent arrangements for governance and financial reporting
- robust internal control maximising value for money
- a sound policy on fraud and irregularity
- effective risk management
- quality assurance of data
- maintaining an open but professional line of communication and relationship with the Auditors
There are two vacancies for Appointed Members of the Committee to take effect from January 2019.
- Knowledge and experience of corporate management, risk management and governance in a university or other publicly accountable organisation
- Experience of complex, multi-disciplinary groups and evaluating operational efficiency, effectiveness and economy
- A financial, accounting or auditing background or a relevant professional qualification
Abilities and expertise
- Interest in and understanding of the issues and risks facing higher education in England
- Appreciation of the role of internal and external audit
- Understanding of the developing role of audit committees
- Working knowledge of changing standards in governance and risk management
- Able to attend and participate in five meetings a year, at the University of Bath, commencing at 11 am (meetings last approximately 2 hours)
- Able to take an active role in the Committee, both at meetings and by reading papers
- Able to attend occasional events as required