‘There shall be a Board of Studies of each School which shall have the following functions:
(i) To advise and report to the Senate on all matters relating to the organisation of education, teaching, learning, and research in the subjects of the School, including curricula and examinations.
(ii) To consider the progress of Students in the School.
(iii) To appoint internal and external examiners in the subjects of the School.
(iv) To recommend to the Senate any appointment of an external examiner where the aggregate term of office exceeds four consecutive years.
(v) To consider and where necessary take action on any matters which may be referred to it by the Senate.
(vi) To advise and recommend to the Senate on the academic strategy of the School.
(vii) To carry out any functions which may be given to or imposed on it by the Ordinances.’
In order to discharge their statutory obligations, Boards of Studies will be responsible to Senate for the following key functions:
(1) the approval and evaluation of academic strategy for the Faculty/School (e.g. ResearchStrategy);
(2) the strategic consideration of initial programme proposals for submission to the Academic Programmes Committee, including the rigour of the underpinning market research, the student choice available and the strategic fit of the proposal;
(3) the strategic consideration of proposed collaborative provision, including Institutional Agreements and Exchange Partners, for submission to the Academic Programmes Committee;
(4) the academic standards and quality of the education, teaching and research across the Faculty/School and the dissemination of good practice;
(5) the monitoring and review of departmental implementation of institutional quality assurance and academic frameworks;
(6) consideration of delegation of authority to appropriate subject-level fora to approve minor and intermediate changes to units on the recommendation of the Faculty/School Learning, Teaching and Quality Committee;
(7) the monitoring of the progress of individual students (including exceptional changes of student circumstances and individual schemes of study and supplementary assessment), under delegated powers from Senate;
(8) the award of degrees on the recommendation of Boards of Examiners for Programmes, under delegated powers from Senate;
(9) rescission of an original award and grant of a new award as a result of either a student academic review or an administrative error identified after the conferment of the original award. This rescission may be authorised by the Chair on behalf of the Board under Board of Studies Standing Order 7(f);
(10) the establishment of new academic prizes, under delegated powers from Senate;
(11) the conduct and outcomes of student academic reviews and investigation of assessment offences;
(12) the monitoring of student complaints, student academic reviews and investigations of assessment offences;
(13) the appointment of Directors of Studies and Heads of Group and the establishment of Groups under powers conferred by Ordinances 4 and 5;
(14) the appointment of External Examiners (except where the aggregate term of office exceeds four consecutive years) and Visiting Academic Staff under delegated powers from Senate;
(15) the approval of part-time and secondary academic appointments and appointment of postgraduate research students into teaching roles;
(16) the establishment, award and grant of Fellowships, Studentships, Scholarships, Bursaries and other such grants at the level of the Faculty/School;
(17) the receipt and consideration of reports from the Departments in the Faculty;
(18) the approval of the establishment and disestablishment of Research Centres; the approval of the appointment of Directors and Deputy Directors of Research Centres; the approval of the continuation of Centres following review by a Faculty / School Research Committee on a three-year cycle.
Approval date: 5 February 2014
Approved by: Senate
Date of last review: