If you want your family or friends to stay or visit you while you are studying at Bath, email student immigration at student-immigration-advice@bath.ac.uk. One of our advisors will help you to find out:

  • if you are a dependant, or if any of your family or friends should be classed as dependants
  • which visa types your family and friends need, and how to apply
  • what evidence you or your family need to provide in the application

The University also provides information about the support available for family members of international students.

How to find out if you or your visitors are eligible to apply

If you are a full-time Tier 4 student visa holder, your dependant family members might be able to apply to join you, or remain with you in the UK.

You are not allowed to bring your family members with you if you are on a part-time Tier 4 student visa.

Read the UK government's detailed guidance for dependants to find out how much money you will need, and which documents you must provide.

If your course meets the requirements permitting Tier 4 dependants, you and your family or friends can apply together. Your family members can apply to stay with you in the UK if they have a dependant visa status, and can change from a dependant visa to a Tier 4 visa, but they must do this from their home country.

Inviting your family and friends to visit

If your family or friends want to visit you for a short stay in the UK, they’ll need a Standard Visitor Visa. This type of visa is suitable for coming to see graduation ceremonies, or other short visits. Certain nationals (see Appendix 2) must get a visa before they leave home, but some people can ask for permission when they arrive in the UK.

You can find a full list of documents required for visitor visa applications(https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachmentdata/file/294927/VisitorDocuments.pdf) at UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

If your family or friends have to apply from their home country, you should register online. Then you can request a letter from the University that proves your status as a full-time student, and gives details of who you are inviting. After three working days you can collect this letter from the Student Services Centre in 4 West.

When you have all of these documents, your family member or friend should apply on the government's website.

Health insurance

If a family member or friend is visiting you in the UK, they should buy private healthcare insurance. This will help them to avoid incurring significant costs if they need to use the UK's National Health Service (NHS).

What your visitor can and can't do with a Standard Visitor Visa

Your visitor can:

  • visit for six months
  • study in the UK for up to 30 days (as long as this is not their main reason for coming)

Your visitor can't:

  • get free medical treatment on the NHS
  • get private medical treatment
  • work
  • extend the visa or switch to another type of visa
  • do paid or unpaid work
  • live in the UK for long periods of time, by visiting often
  • claim public funds
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of their marriage or civil partnership

Standard Visitor Visa checklist

Your visitor/s will need to present the following documents for their visitor visa application (and they should carry copies in their hand luggage when travelling, to present when they arrive).

  • a letter from the University proving your status as a full-time student and details of who you’re inviting
  • a personal letter of invitation written by you, and addressed to your visitors
  • copies of your passport pages
  • copies of your bank statements or sponsors' letters (optional, but we recommend this if you are funding the visit yourself)
  • proof of accommodation, such as a copy of your tenancy contract, or a hotel reservation

Your visitors will also need to present the following for their visitor visa application:

  • evidence of their intention to return home, such as details of business or study commitments
  • proof of their salary or financial independence
  • a return ticket, or enough money to buy one
  • the application fee of £87