|Owning department||Department of Biology & Biochemistry|
|Notional study hours||200|
|Level||FHEQ level 7|
|Availability||Compulsory unit on MSc Molecular Biosciences (Bioinformatics), MSc Molecular Biosciences (Biotechnology), MSc Molecular Biosciences (Medical Biosciences), MSc Molecular Biosciences (Microbiology)|
This compulsory unit advances biosciences to address challenges of global environmental sustainability. It allows you to acquire the knowledge, skills, attitudes and values necessary to shape a sustainable future.
You'll develop skills and intellectual flexibility which will not only benefit your degree but enable you to compete and contribute in the workplace and wider society after graduation.
After successfully completing this unit, you should be able to:
- demonstrate an awareness of why biosciences is an integral activity for addressing the challenges of environmental sustainability
- demonstrate real-world engagement in the issues relating to environmental sustainability practice
- demonstrate creativity, teamwork and communication skills.
Using a common theme related to environmental sustainability, you'll carry out a group project in one of the following four pathways:
- Enterprise and innovation
- Media and communication
- Public engagement with science
You'll work in a team with other students and each team will have the opportunity to design, implement and evaluate an innovative idea, teaching resource, media resource or an interactive public engagement activity.
You'll participate in active and experiential learning methods that make a real difference to your understanding, thinking and ability to act. These include:
- role play exercises
- problem-based learning
- discussion groups
- interactive workshops
- sessions with guest speakers including bioscience entrepreneurs, teachers, media and public engagement experts.