About the Research Activities Fund
The Research Activities Fund enables you to organise research related activities, such as training or a conference, that will benefit you and other doctoral students. Grants of up to £1000 are available on a rolling basis.
Applying to the Fund will give you a greater input into your development as a researcher, recognising your discipline-specific needs. It is also a great opportunity for you to develop and evidence transferable skills as part of your professional development, through planning and delivering an event and putting together a funding proposal.
You can find out more about our other training and development opportunities by registering for the DoctoralSkills programme.
What can be funded
Funding grants cover costs such as: catering; external speaker fees and/or travel; room hire; and event materials, for example handouts.
Amount of award
Funding grants of up to £1,000 are available.
Typically, applications are made to the Fund for support with training events, research conferences/symposia and networking events.
If you feel that your proposal doesn’t fit into these categories, please still get in touch. We are open to innovative and creative approaches to researcher development and welcome your ideas.
Below are examples of events and activities that have previously received funding though the Research Activities Fund or similar schemes.
- advanced, specialist statistical methodology or analysis
- media training
- publishing workshop for social scientists
- enterprise and innovation workshop
- techniques and skills of interviewing for qualitative research
- designing an interview questionnaire
- running focus groups for the social sciences
- using specialist research software
Research symposium or conference
- conferences with interdisciplinary themes such as, safeguarding, equality and diversity, sustainability
- round-table style events such as conveying research to a different audience, work-life balance and routes to publication
- online webinars
- guest speaker series
- faculty and/or cross-faculty networking event
- speed networking event
- cross-university regional networking event
- alumni/industry experts event
Submitting an application
We accept applications for funding on a rolling basis. In order to assess whether your proposed activity falls into the remit of this fund we ask applicants to initially submit an 'expression of interest' using this online application form.
Whilst you will organise and manage all aspects of your chosen activity, we recognise that you might need some support along the way. We can help with:
- giving feedback on your initial proposal
- providing information to support effective event management for example managing budgets and booking rooms
- promotion of the event