Terms of Reference
Approved by Executive Committee 7th July 2005, revised by Council 29th June 2006 wef 1st August 2006.
- Formulating and recommending University policies and procedures relating to equality and diversity to Senate and Council.
- Overseeing the formulation of institutional action plans to ensure that equality and diversity policies are effectively translated into programmes of action.
- Advising the relevant University decision-making bodies and officers:
- on strategic policy developments relating to equality and diversity, their integration into the University’s overall strategic plans and on their implementation;
- the desirability and priority of actions relating to equality and diversity which have resource implications.
- Encouraging and assisting departments in the effective integration and implementation of University equality and diversity policies and procedures.
- Establishing project groups as required to investigate, report on and implement work on specific dimensions of equality and diversity issues.
- Maintaining under review and, where necessary, proposing revision to University policies, procedures and plans relating to Equality and Diversity.
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation and effectiveness of the University's equality and diversity policy, procedures and plans.
- Keeping under review all areas of University practice in regard to equality and diversity.
- Ensuring University equality and diversity policies and procedures are effectively disseminated and promoted.
- Maintaining appropriate consultation and communication routes with all relevant groups in the University and with external bodies in pursuance of the terms of reference of the committee.
Appointment of Chair: Deputy Vice-Chancellor or a Pro-Vice-Chancellor nominated by the Vice-Chancellor.
Co-options: Council Standing Orders 16(iv) and 16(v). There is provision for up to three co-opted members, sought on the basis of their expertise in the area, who may include members external to the University.
Alternates: Council Standing Order 17(iii).
Quorum: One third of the membership (Council Standing Order 16(vii).
Rules for voting: None specified.
Minutes: Submitted to Council, Senate and Equality and Diversity Network.