Our Fairtrade commitment
We're committed to using and selling ethically-sourced food in our hospitality outlets and catering services.
Our venues are proud to support and promote Fairtrade products to customers using our campus catering, bar and retail outlets.
The Fairtrade Foundation awarded the University of Bath Fairtrade Status in 2009.
In March 2018, we won the Gold Award for Best Fairtrade University, in recognition of our continued commitment to Fairtrade products, promotions and events, as well as our efforts over Fairtrade Fortnight.
The University promotes the awareness and sale of Fairtrade products through:
- promotional events during Fairtrade Fortnight
- a range of Fairtrade products in our outlets, including all tea and coffee
- information about Fairtrade products displayed in commercial outlets and online
- Fairtrade products will be clearly marked on menus in the future
All staff and students are encouraged to support Fairtrade.
Food Direct catering
The Food Direct catering service uses Fairtrade products, including tea, coffee, flapjacks, muffins and sugar.
The University’s venues use organic and ethically-sourced ingredients wherever cost and supply allow. Fairtrade products are sold in the majority of venues on campus.
Our coffee supplier is certified Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance-certified and organic. This guarantees no unnecessary chemicals or pesticides are used.
If you want to know more about a specific dish, particular ingredients, food sourcing and preparation, please speak with our staff.
Fairtrade Steering Group
This group of University staff and students meets at least three times a year to report on sales and promotional activities and improve the University support for Fairtrade.
We're determined to support the South West's culinary heritage in our outlets by using local produce wherever possible.
Our local suppliers and producers include:
- Arthur David - fruit and vegetables
- Pullin's Bakery - bread and sandwiches
- Real Wrap - sandwiches
- John Sheppard and Jon Thorner's butchers - meat
- Wings of St Mawes - fish
- Yeo Valley – organic milk
- Marshfield Farm Ice Cream – ice cream
- Bath Ales – beer
- Butcombe Brewery – beer and ale
- Orchard Pig - cider and juice drinks