Before you begin
You should have a basic familiarity with Microsoft Excel and be able to create and manipulate workbooks. You should also have core knowledge of working with files and folders in the Windows environment. If this is not the case we recommend you first take Excel - Get started with spreadsheets.
Delivery Method: Tutor led
Course Duration: 1.5 hours
What you will learn
Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet application which you can use to store, manipulate and present data. This course is taught through a mixture of demonstration and hands-on practice. You will learn how to:
- sort databases by columns, alphabetically or numerically
- filter databases for terms, e.g. find all biologists in a student database
- apply more complex filters and sorts
- add subtotals to a database
- work with tables
- create and use database functions
What other learners have said about this course
"Great course, thank you."
"Exciting play with data - I just want to do it again and again"
"Great course - clear instruction - really enjoyed it."
"clarified everything that I wanted to know"
"Thank you so much for the course! I used some of the advanced filtering features yesterday and suddenly looked like an Excel pro :)"
Book your place
To book your place:
- Go to the Employee Self Service booking page
- Select the date you wish to book
- Enter any optional personal objectives you wish to achieve
- Select "Save"
- Tuesday 13 October, 2:15 to 3:45pm
- Wednesday 11 November, 10:00 to 11:30am
- Thursday 17 December, 2:15 to 3:45pm
If there are no suitable dates/times above, please email us to enquire about future opportunities and to be put on our waiting list.
Find a related course
Excel - Use advanced functions
Excel - Get started with spreadsheets
Excel - Create charts to present your data
Excel - Create formulae and functions
Excel - Use PivotTables to summarise data
Excel - Introduction to Macros