University Funding

Applications from any field of research in the Faculty are eligible. Browse our Find a PhD feed for named projects. Funding may also be available for excellent candidates who obtain an offer of a place for a project of their own.

University Research Studentship Award (URSA)

Studentship value: Funding lasts for up to three years. This includes:

  • full tuition fees
  • annual training support fee
  • maintenance stipend £14,777 pa (2018/19 rate) for Home/EU only (no stipend for overseas fee status)

Scheme opens: Autumn 2018.
Scheme closes: To be confirmed.

Find out more about the University Research Studentships.

Research Councils UK Funding

The Research Councils UK (RCUK) include The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). They award funding for Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs).

ESRC South West Doctoral Training Partnership

The ESRC is the UK's largest organisation for funding research on economic and social issues. Studentships are available for discipline specific study or interdisciplinary study which will involve collaboration with a partner institution.

Eligibility: Home/EU students only. International candidates are eligible to apply for Economics and Advanced Quantities Methods.

Studentship value: Funding lasts for up to three and a half years. This includes:

  • Home/EU tuition fees
  • maintenance stipend £14,777 pa (2018/19 rate). EU citizens who do not meet the residency requirement may be eligible for a tuition fees only award.

Scholarships available: Up to 60.

Scheme opens: To be confirmed.
Scheme closes: Applications are now closed.

Find out more about studentships with the ESRC South West Doctoral Training Partnership.

Enhanced learning Credits Administration Services (ELCAS)

The Ministry of Defence's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) promotes lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. Discounts are available for the following courses:

Eligibility: current and ex-service personnel from the Ministry of Defence.

Find out more and apply via ELCAS. You can also contact the Doctoral College.