- Ranked 8th best university in the UK, and 5th for career after 15-months, by the Guardian University Guide 2022
- Ranked 8th best university in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2023
- Ranked 9th best university in the UK by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- Ranked 9th in The Times Higher Education 'Table of Tables' 2022
- Placed in the Top 100 of the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022
- 86% for overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2022. This means we're ranked 1st in England and 3rd in the UK when comparing institutions listed in the Guardian University Guide.
- Ranked 4th in the UK in The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018
Guides and rankings
|The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide||2022||9||135||National|
|The Guardian University Guide||2022||8||121||National|
|The Complete University Guide||2023||8||130||National|
|Whatuni Student Choice Awards||2020||46||131||National|
|QS World University Rankings||2023||179||1,422||International|
|Times Higher Education World University Rankings||2022||201-250||over 1,600||International|
The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide
The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 places us 9th out of 135 institutions.
We're also ranked 7th for graduate prospects.
The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 ranks 17 of our subjects in the top ten, including:
- 1st for Architecture and Criminology
- 2nd for Psychology, Sociology, and Sports Science
- 3rd for Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
The Guardian University Guide
We are 8th in the Guardian University Guide 2022, with 13 subjects in the top ten, including ranking 2nd for Mechanical Engineering, Psychology, and Sports Science.
The guide also places us 5th for career, with 91% of graduates in graduate-level jobs or further study at professional or HE level after 15 months.
The guide ranks universities in nine key areas, including course satisfaction, student-to-staff ratio, and graduate prospects.
Complete University Guide
We are ranked 8th out of 130 UK universities in the Complete University Guide 2023.
We are ranked 6th for graduate prospects.
We've also ranked the number one university in the South West for seven years in a row.
The guide uses ten factors to score each university. It also publishes individual subject rankings based on:
- student satisfaction
- research quality
- entry standards
- graduate prospects
Bath was ranked the safest university town or city in England and Wales in 2022 by the Complete University Guide.
Whatuni Student Choice Awards
We're ranked 15th for Graduate prospects and 11th for Societies and Sports, in the Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2020.
These awards are based on reviews submitted by more than 41,000 students across the UK.
QS World University Rankings
In the QS World University Rankings 2023 we have an overall ranking of 179 out of 1,422 universities around the world.
We're also ranked 8th in the world for Sports-related subjects in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022.
Times Higher Education
In the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022 we have an overall ranking of 201-250 out of over 1,600 universities across 99 countries and territories.
In the 2021 Leiden Ranking, we are 134th in the world for the proportion of our publications that were in the top 10% most frequently cited, compared with other publications in the same field and year.
The Leiden Ranking measures the scientific performance of 1,225 universities worldwide. Using a sophisticated set of bibliometric indicators, the ranking aims to provide highly accurate measurements of the scientific impact of universities and their involvement in scientific collaboration.
The ranking is based on over 25 years' bibliometric experience at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) of Leiden University.
Awards and ratings
QS Graduate Employability Rankings
We are placed in the Top 100 of the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022. Placing 93rd in the ranking marks us out as one of the best places to study globally in terms of students’ onward prospects.
The University of Bath was rated particularly strongly in terms of its partnerships and its reputation among employers, with a graduate employment rate of 95.6% 12 months after graduation.
National Student Survey
Our students continue to be among the most satisfied in the UK, according to the 2022 National Student Survey (NSS). Our overall student satisfaction rate is 86%. This means we're ranked 1st in England and 3rd in the UK when comparing institutions listed in the Guardian University Guide.
Nine of our courses received satisfaction ratings of 100% with a further 19 receiving satisfaction ratings of 90% or above.
Our courses that scored 100% were:
- BSc (Hons) International Management and Modern Languages (German) with Year Abroad
- BSc (Hons) Management
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Statistics with Year long work placement
- MEng (Hons) Civil and Architectural Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Civil and Architectural Engineering with Year long work placement
- MEng (Hons) Integrated Design Engineering with Year long work placement
- MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering with Manufacturing and Management with Year long work placement
- MPharmacol (Hons) Pharmacology with Year long work placement
- MSci (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science with Professional Placement
Our departments that scored over 90% for student satisfaction were:
- Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Architecture and Civil Engineering
- Biology and Biochemistry
- Cross-faculty (IMML courses)
- Mathematical Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey
We are ranked 4th in the UK in The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018.
Around 330,000 students took part in the survey. Survey questions covered all areas of academic life, including the quality of teaching, feedback on work, and learning resources.
Research Excellence Framework (REF)
The results of the REF 2021 confirm the excellence of the research carried out at Bath.
92% of University of Bath research submitted to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021 achieved the two highest classifications of ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent'.
Queen’s Anniversary Prizes
We have been awarded two Queen's Anniversary Prizes for Higher and Further Education. This is the country's most prestigious national recognition for a UK academic or vocational institution.
In 2011, we received the Queen's award for our Department of Social & Policy Sciences' 'Influential research into child poverty and support for vulnerable people'.
We were also awarded the prize in 2000 to recognise the 'invaluable services to industrial and scientific communities' of the Centre for Power Transmission & Motion Control.