The Purpose of the Research Ethics Approval Committee for Health is to receive and consider outline proposals for ethical approval for health-related research primarily being undertaken by staff and students in the Department for Health.
1.2 Terms of reference
The specific terms of reference of the Research Ethics Approval Committee for Health are to:
- Consider outline research protocols from staff and students of the Department to assess the suitability of this work in terms of research ethics (it is envisaged that all proposals that entail work on animal and human subjects will be considered by the Panel, even if the work may not require approval by a local REC – this intention here is to set an ethical standard for all such research work conducted by the Department).
- Receive decisions of NRES or other UK or appropriate ethical decision making bodies.
- Develop guidance and provide advice to researchers in the Department about ethics in research.
- Liaise with the local Research Ethics Committee (and equivalent bodies nationally and internationally) to consider, review and advise on the ethical approval of research being conducted by representatives of the Department for Health.
- Liaise with the University Ethics Committee in the implementation of the University’s research ethics policies.
- Share practice with other Ethics Committees which operate within the University (and outside) as appropriate.
1.3 Membership of the Panel
1.3.1 The panel will have at least the following members:
- A Member to chair the committee
- Member of the Health Research Committee
- Member of Professional Doctorate Programme Team
- Member of another Department in the University
- A lay member
- A Post Graduate Research student and may also include Academic representatives from other relevant Research areas.
1.3.2 The quorum for a meeting of the Research Ethics Approval Committee for Health is one third of the membership of the Committee.
1.4 Reporting Mechanisms
The Research Ethics Approval Committee for Health reports directly to the University ethics committee.
Approval date: February 2017
Date of last review:
For full details about the REACH resources, application and approval process, please refer to the REACH wiki pages.