The University of Bath will follow this policy if you are in receipt of Title IV Direct loans and if you withdraw or suspend (take a leave of absence) from your course of study at Bath. This policy also applies if you change your mode of study to less than half time/distance learning.

If you are funding your studies through the US Federal Aid system you are required to inform the US Loans Team of your withdrawal/suspension or other change to your studies, at the same time as notifying your respective Academic Department/ Tutor/Administrator.

You must contact us via the email on this page with information about the dates of your planned withdrawal/suspension/or any other changes to your studies.

It is important you keep us updated about any changes so we can ensure that your loans are adjusted correctly within timescales as set by the US Department of Education.

We are not considered as an attendance monitoring university for Title IV loans purposes. At present the university is only required to monitor attendance for those students who hold a Tier 4 student visa as part of our UK Home Office compliance.

Withdrawing, suspending or changing your studies

If you withdraw or make changes to your studies that affect your eligibility for Title IV loans, we will recalculate your loan entitlement based on the period of attendance/entitlement. As a result, the University may be required to return funds to the US Department of Education from the Title IV loans subsidised/unsubsidised or PLUS loans received/disbursed. Future disbursements may also be affected.

The University must return any unearned funds within 45 days of the withdrawal date to the US Department of Education. As a result you may have tuition and/or accommodation fees to pay and the university will invoice you for any outstanding balance due.

Title IV loan funds will be returned in the following order:

  • Unsubsidised loans
  • Subsidised loans
  • PLUS loans (Graduate or Parent)

All the Title IV loans scheduled for a disbursement period are considered to have been earned if you have been in attendance (at least half-time) for more than 60% of the payment period.

As an example, if you complete 30% of the payment period you will have earned 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive within that loan period. If you complete 60% of the payment period, you will have earned 100% of the assistance you were scheduled to receive.

  • if the University received on your behalf more funds than was earned, the excess funds must be returned to the US Department of Education by the University.

  • if you receive (or the University received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount earned, then you may be able to receive those additional funds as a post-withdrawal disbursement.

The University must return any unearned funds within 45 days of the withdrawal date to the US Department of Education. As a result you may have tuition and/or accommodation fees to pay and the university will invoice you for any outstanding balance due.

Please note that a period of suspension from studies which will be longer than 180 days in any 12 month period, for the purposes of Title IV loans, is treated as a withdrawal. The 12-month period begins on the first day of the suspension and the return of Title IV funds policy will apply.

Notification of return of Title IV loan funds

Upon notice of a withdrawal from study or loss of Title IV loans eligibility, we will email you to notify you of any funds that are due for repayment back to the US Department of Education. You will be emailed a copy of the Return to Title IV loans calculation.

Post withdrawal disbursement process

If we owe you a post withdrawal disbursement of loans then we will contact you within 30 days of your withdrawal date, or the parent, for a Parent PLUS loan. We will advise you of the amounts and the options available to you.

Once we have received confirmation of acceptance of the post withdrawal disbursement we will process this as soon as possible, but no later than 180 days after date of withdrawal. We are permitted to credit the students account for any outstanding tuition fees/university accommodation costs that are still due.

University refund policy

The University has a refund policy which can be found within the Fees and Charges Guidelines available on the Student Finance Office web pages.

The University policy is not to be confused with R2T4 calculations and refunds. Should you be entitled to a refund from Bath this will only be made to you after we have repaid any loan funds owed back to the US Department of Education as a result of recalculating any of your loan entitlement.

University determination of withdrawal date

This will be the date of your decision to withdraw or the date you were told would be your withdrawal date. If there was a period of suspension (leave of absence) before you withdrew, the date of withdrawal is the date of the decision to withdraw, not the date the suspension began (which might be in a previous academic year).

Where you are reported as a fail and withdrawn, the date of withdrawal will be the date that the Board of Studies met to approve such a withdrawal.

If the University is unable to determine the date of withdrawal – for example, due to no communication from you – then the date of withdrawal will be determined by the academic department, normally the last known date of attendance.

Change in your circumstances/withdrawing from studies

Personal circumstances

You must ensure that the personal details the University holds are correct and up-to-date. The Student Records’ database (SAMIS) needs to be kept up-to-date. If you change your address – either your semester-time or home address – please ensure that you update your details.

If, during your studies, you change your name, you will need to complete form CC1 (Notification of Change of Student’s Personal Circumstances) and to provide proof of change (for example, a marriage certificate). Please submit the form to your Academic Department, or the Student Records & Examinations Office, or Student Services.

Academic circumstances – withdraw, suspend or change your studies

Please discuss with your academic department if you:

  • are considering suspending (leave of absence) your studies, transferring from one programme to another, or withdrawing from your programme
  • have circumstances that prevent you from attending regularly

They will be able to advise you on an appropriate course of action.

Your personal tutor will also be able to provide support and guidance on matters relating to your programme.

If you have an approved period of suspension from studies which will be longer than 180 days, for the purposes of Title IV loans only this is treated as a withdrawal, not a withdrawal from your programme of study.

If you hold a visa allowing you to study in the UK, you should consult the advice about the Tier 4 visa implications of suspending or withdrawing from your programme.

Please register any change of academic circumstance, including changes to your optional units.

University Regulations for Students include attendance and progress, conferment of qualifications, admissions, academic reviews and appeals.


Approved Leave of Absence (LOA)

A LOA is a temporary interruption/suspension in a student's programme of study. LOA refers to the specific time period during a programme when a student is not in attendance and will return to complete the programme. Students returning from a LOA are not required to re-apply for admission but must re-register for their programme.

Unapproved Leave of Absence

The University may grant a student a LOA that does not meet the conditions to be an approved LOA for Title IV Direct Loans purposes (for example, for academic reasons). However, any LOA that does not meet all of the conditions for an approved LOA is considered a withdrawal for Title IV Direct Loans purposes.

Official Withdrawal

A 'withdrawal' refers to a student’s intent to completely terminate studies at the University with no expectation of return. A student, who subsequently decides to return to their studies, must reapply for admission through the University’s Admissions Office.

Unofficial Withdrawal

An unofficial withdrawal is one where the University has not received notice from the student that the student has ceased or will cease attending.

Note: students who withdraw from their programme or do not receive a ‘pass’ mark at the end of an academic year will have that grade used in calculating the quantitative aspect of the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. This may affect the student’s future eligibility for financial aid.