Eligibility to work in the UK

The University is obliged to ensure all workers are eligible to work in the UK. It is vital that the appropriate checks are completed prior to any work being undertaken, ideally at interview stage.

Further guidance on the new Points-Based Immigration System and routes to work in the UK can be found on the Government website.

Advice and guidance by nationality

EU, EEA, or Swiss citizens

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens are no longer able to evidence their right to work here using their passport or national identity card. As of 1 July 2021, EU, EEA or Swiss citizens are now required to evidence they hold either pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or other valid immigration status.

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens who arrive in the UK for the very first time (i.e. not resident in the UK) now need to secure an appropriate work visa in advance of travel to the UK.

Irish citizens will continue to be able to enter, work and live in the UK.

Non-EEA citizens

Those citizens who are seeking to enter the UK to work or who are already in the UK on a visa and do not have a valid UK Ancestry Visa, Family Visa, Dependant Visa, Indefinite Leave to Remain/Settlement or other valid immigration status, will require a visa to work at the University. Typical work visas include the Skilled Worker Visa, Global Talent Visa and Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange Visa.

Find out which roles are sponsorable and if you meet the skill and salary requirements to be eligible.