- To review ESRC research ethics proposals from University staff and advise on the requirements for ethical approval.
- To give written endorsement of the ethical implications of such proposals that require ethical approval, or provide written information as to why endorsement has not been given.
- To consider resubmissions.
- To refer to the University Ethics Committee cases which cannot be resolved or about which there is uncertainty.
- To receive reports from department research ethics officers on proposals endorsed via EIRA.
- To advise on the most appropriate monitoring mechanisms for projects that have been approved, and to receive monitoring reports at agreed intervals from the principal investigator.
- To advise department research ethics officers on student research proposals which cannot be resolved or about which there is uncertainty.
- To operate procedures when scrutinising proposals with a view to endorsement that are no less rigorous than those suggested or required by relevant professional bodies.
- To advise the University Ethics Committee on training needs for SSREC members.
Appointment of Chair: Nomination to be approved by the Board of Studies of the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences.
Co-option: Department Ethics Officers as required from other Social Science areas.
Alternates: None specified.
Quorum: One third of the committee, or three members, whichever is higher
Rules for voting: None specified.
Minutes: Submitted to Ethics Committee.
Approval date: 2 May 2006
Revisions approved: 6 February 2007, 14 October 2008, 7 May 2013 and 6 October 2015
Approved by: University Ethics Committee
Date of last review: