Our new Strategy 2021 to 2026 describes our mission to deliver world-class research and teaching, educating our students to become future leaders and innovators, and benefiting the wider population through our research, enterprise and influence.
Our vision is to be an outstanding and inclusive University community, characterised by excellence in education, research, and innovation; working in partnership with others for the advancement of knowledge, in support of the global common good. We seek to advance our impact by:
- growing our reputation for University education through internationally leading courses which are rigorous, relevant, and pioneering and which attract highly achieving students from diverse backgrounds, enhanced by high-value placement and extracurricular opportunities to help students to take their ideas and passions to the next level
- growing our research strength to drive research quality, achievement, and impact at international levels
- growing our identity as a strong learning community in which collective endeavour and a culture of care enable the flourishing of all
- growing our strategic civic, corporate and international partnerships to allow us to fulfil our ambitious vision in education, research and enterprise
Our Strategy 2021-26 expresses our ambitions across four pillars:
- Driving excellence in education
- Driving high-impact research
- Fostering an outstanding and inclusive community
- Enhancing strategic partnerships
We have identified Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to help us monitor our delivery of this new Strategy and these are disclosed in the University Strategy 2021-26- Key Operating Performance Indicators.
Values are at the heart of our Strategy for advancement, growth, and impact, defining our characteristics as a community namely:
- delivering quality and excellence, whilst being quick to listen and learn
- nurturing high aspirations, for the benefit of all
- aspiring to the highest standards of scientific, ethical and professional integrity, whilst supporting the freedom to challenge the received wisdom
- supporting a sustainable community and adopting best environmental practice
- fostering inclusion, equality, diversity and accessibility where the unique value of each individual is recognised as we build a community of trust and care by treating each other with respect
Steps to achieving our strategic ambitions
Our Strategy was formed during a global pandemic, with perhaps greater uncertainty about the future than many of us have experienced in our lifetimes. Therefore, our strategy provides a high-level framework setting out what we want to achieve, by what means and in what timeframe, with the flexibility to adapt to a rapidly changing world.
The implementation of our Strategy will be achieved via our ongoing operational planning processes, a range of specific action plans and a programme of institutional initiatives. Implementation will be overseen by the University Executive Board and progress towards achieving our targets will be reported to our governing body, Council, for scrutiny.
Our success more than ever before, will depend on our ability not only to create new ideas, build on our strengths and address, head on, those areas that we need to improve, but to collaborate, plan and work together to achieve them with a collective sense of purpose and shared values.
One thing which does not constrain us is the strength of our collective ambition, to reach out and connect at every level, in order to achieve greater positive impact locally and globally.
These case studies are intended to illustrate where we, as a community, have evidenced and achieved the values recognised in our Strategy for the benefit of our stakeholders. We have a broad and diverse set of stakeholders and these case studies can only cover a subset of the range of ways in which we add value. In our Value Creation statement Model we reference some of the case studies below to evidence this.
Delivering quality and excellence, whilst being quick to listen and learn:
- supporting our students and staff in responding to COVID-19
- excellent education and experience the Bath way
- enhancing our capabilities
Nurturing high aspirations, for the benefit of all:
Aspiring to the highest standards of scientific, ethical, and professional integrity, whilst supporting the freedom to challenge the received wisdom:
Supporting a sustainable community and adopting best environmental practice:
Fostering inclusion, equality, diversity, and accessibility where the unique value of each individual is recognised as we build a community of trust and care by treating each other with respect: