The University of Bath has clear expectations of the behaviour of its students, and will take action to address inappropriate behaviour or 'misconduct' which doesn't meet these.

Regulation 7, Disciplinary Regulations for Student outlines the University's policy on inappropriate behaviour, and our process for addressing allegations is outlined in Regulation 8, Disciplinary Procedures for Students. More information on these policies and procedures can be found below.

What kind of behaviour might constitute a disciplinary offence?

Broadly speaking, behaviour which negatively impacts other people whether in the University or wider community could be dealt with as a breach of the Disciplinary Regulations. Examples of this type of behaviour can be found here, but should not be considered exhaustive. The University categorises misconduct by severity and impact in Regulation 7.5:

  • Category A Misconduct: Less serious offences with no or minimal harm or disruption caused, or a limited impact on the proper functioning or activities of the University, or an accidental or inadvertent breach.
  • Category B Misconduct: More serious offence with moderate harm or disruption caused, or a moderate impact (or risk thereof) on the proper functioning or activities of the University.
  • Category C Misconduct: The most serious offences with significant harm or disruption caused, or a severe impact (or risk thereof) on the proper functioning oractivities of the University, or sustained or repeated misconduct. Any misconduct directed at an individual or individuals.

What are the potential consequences for a disciplinary offence?

If a student is found to have committed an offence, the University will apply sanctions. These are penalties for inappropriate behaviour. More information, including a list of potential sanctions, can be found in our Sanctioning Guidance.

What if the offence is also a crime?

If the misconduct could constitute a criminal offence the Reporting Party (the person making an allegation) will be asked whether they want to report it to the Police. The University may choose to report directly to the Police if it is a particularly serious offence (for example, drug dealing) or if there may be a risk to the safety of other people.

What support is available to me?

The University will offer support and advice to students throughout the Disciplinary Procedure, whether you are the Reporting Party (the person making an allegation) or the Respondent (the person an allegation is made against). The Wellbeing Service and SU Advice and Support are available to help.

Discipline Procedure FAQs