Try not to overpack if you're moving into University accommodation. You might be tempted to arrive with everything you can think of, but housemates often buy larger things together. This helps save space in the communal areas.

When you move in, you will be the only person allowed to enter the building. It's important to make sure you can carry all of your belongings on your own.

Some useful things to bring with you include:

  • a tin opener
  • a frying pan
  • a saucepan
  • crockery
  • cutlery
  • cooking utensils (like a spatula, wooden spoon and sieve)
  • cling film
  • tin foil
  • freezer bags
  • food storage containers
  • oven gloves
  • tea towels
  • dishcloths
  • hand and bath towels
  • coat hangers
  • a laundry basket
  • a toothbrush and toothbrush holder
  • a wash bag for toiletries
  • pins for your noticeboard

Bedding and Linen

Your accommodation is not supplied with bedding. Before you arrive you'll need to decide if you are going to:

  • bring your own pillow and duvet
  • buy a bedding pack from our online store
  • borrow a pillow and duvet from our accommodation operations team. More information on this will be available on arrival.

Bed Linen

Before you arrive, you'll also need to either purchase bed linen from our online store or bring your own with you.

If you are living on campus in an en-suite bedroom bed linen is available on request.


If you're moving to the UK from overseas, the weather may be colder and wetter than you are used to at home. Remember to bring warm clothing, like coats and jumpers, as well as waterproof jackets and practical footwear.

TV licences

Televisions supplied in University-owned accommodation are covered by a TV licence.

If you want to watch, record or download TV content using your own device, check here to see if you need to buy your own licence.