Equip yourself to work as a professional interpreter and/or translator on this highly respected master's, which can include a training opportunity.
Our MA Interpreting and Translating is designed to give you the practical skills and experience you need to work as an interpreter and translator at a high level.
You must have an excellent understanding of two languages. You can choose from one of two pathways:
- Path 1 allows you to work with two other languages (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) into English
- Path 2 allows you to work in both directions between Chinese/English or Russian/English
This master's has been running for over 40 years and is highly respected internationally for the quality of the training provided. Many Bath graduates have gone on to work in organisations such as the EU and UN, as well as other language services around the world.
The course covers professional translation and simultaneous, consecutive and liaison interpreting in public service and commercial settings.
You'll have access to the latest digital interpreting labs, and you will participate in mini-conferences to put your skills into practice, holding debates on controversial topics and acting as both delegate and interpreter.
We seek to arrange external training opportunities for our students with the United Nations or independent agencies, giving you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career.
The course is taught by experienced tutors who have all worked as professional translators and interpreters themselves. Some have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers, and/or work for international organisations. They are therefore able to share this wealth of experience with you and provide useful advice on joining the profession.
You will leave with:
- a proven ability to work with varied and challenging texts and speeches, providing a strong foundation for working at an international level
- practical skills, such as experience of working to deadlines and using style guides
- contacts with potential employers and colleagues from your external training
- access to our close-knit alumni network of linguists who work in international organisations, private bodies and independent agencies
- evidence of translation skills, including the 10,000-word translation and 5,000-word commentary you'll complete at the end of the taught part of the course
Through our extensive network of contacts we try to organise external training for students with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies. These opportunities provide an invaluable insight into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory or guaranteed.
Our students have previously undertaken training with:
- the United Nations
- institutions of the European Union
The MA Interpreting and Translating is a highly vocational course that will equip you with a variety of transferable skills, including interpersonal, communication and organisational skills. Our graduates have used these skills to access a variety of professions, including interpreting, translation, teaching, journalism, diplomacy and further study.
Our graduates have gone on to work for the following organisations:
- Deloitte (London, Cardiff, Shanghai and Beijing)
- Emirates Airline
- European Commission
- Foreign Office
- Gazprom Germania Gmbh
- Industrial & Commercial Bank of China
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Court of Justice
- Ministry of Defence
- People’s Insurance of China
- United Nations in Geneva, Vienna, Nairobi and New York
Many of our graduates work as freelance interpreters/translators in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, United Kingdom and the United States. Some have also worked at universities in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.