Equip yourself to work as a professional interpreter and translator on this highly respected master's, which may include a training opportunity.
Find out more about careers in interpreting and translating at our live webinar on 26 January 2022. Read more about this event and book your place.
Our MA Interpreting and Translating is designed to give you the practical skills and experience you need to work as an interpreter and translator at a high level.
You must have an excellent understanding of two languages. You can choose from one of two pathways:
- Path 1 allows you to work with two other languages (French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) into English
- Path 2 allows you to work in both directions between Chinese/English or Russian/English
This master's has been running for over 50 years and is highly respected for the quality of the training provided. Many Bath graduates have gone on to work in international organisations such as the EU and UN as well as other language services around the world.
The course covers professional translation and simultaneous, consecutive and liaison interpreting in public service and commercial settings.
You'll have access to the latest digital interpreting labs, and will participate in mini-conferences to put your skills into practice, holding debates on controversial topics and acting as both delegate and interpreter.
We seek to arrange external training opportunities (which could be remote or in person) for our students with international organisations or independent agencies, giving you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career.
The course is taught by experienced tutors who have all worked as professional translators and interpreters themselves. Some have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers, and/or work for international organisations. They are therefore able to share this wealth of experience with you and provide useful advice on joining the profession.
You will leave with:
- a proven ability to work with varied and challenging texts and speeches, providing a strong foundation for working at an international level
- experience of working to deadlines and using style guides
- contacts with potential employers and colleagues from your external training
- access to our close-knit alumni network of linguists who work in international organisations, private bodies and independent agencies
- evidence of translation skills, including the dissertation you'll complete at the end of the taught part of the course
Through our extensive network of contacts we try to organise external training for students with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies. These opportunities provide an invaluable insight into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory or guaranteed.
Our students have previously undertaken training with many organisations, including:
- the United Nations
- institutions of the European Union
- the Council of Europe
The MA Interpreting and Translating is a highly vocational course with a strong reputation. Some of our graduates have found rewarding jobs in smaller companies and institutions or chosen to work as freelancers, while many have pursued stimulating careers as professional translators and interpreters.
Some examples of our recent graduates careers include:
- Freelance Translator, Say It Global Translations
- Translator, interpreter and English specialist, Shikoku Instrumentation Co Ltd
- Translator and Interpreter, TRON Foundation
- Freelance Translator, World Trade Organisation
- Editor, Pixelogic Media
- Junior Project Manager, Verboo
- Senior Translator, Client Earth
- Global Language Consultant, ByteDance
- In-house Interpreter, Apple
- Account Executive, ShapeD Communications
Associations and resources
By studying this course, you will be able to access a number of tools and online resources to support your learning. These include: