The Autumn Virtual Careers & Placements Fair is the largest careers fair of the year. Employers are offering video appointments using the Handshake platform. Over 100 employers are expected over 4 days commencing Monday 18th October - large and small, national and local, and from a range of sectors.
Each of the four days has a different focus: Monday - STEM-Science and IT (Technology) Tuesday - STEM-Engineering and Design Thursday -Business, Management and Finance Friday-Government, 3rd Sector and Life and Health Sciences.
Some employers are will attend more than one day . Use the Handshake platform to find out which day your favourite employers will be attending - use the filters to narrow down your preferences.
This year is again different as we are virtual only and we are inviting you to meet employers through attending their Group sessions and /or video chat rooms for 1:1 appointments. Please use the links below to see how it works!
Data Protection Statement This fair will be run and organised externally from the University. A such we urge you to read the company’s consent and privacy statement. Please make sure you are happy with the details you may be sharing with them and how these may be used. By attending the fair you will be consenting to agreeing to these.
What to expect
From 30th September you will be able to view details and book appointments on Handshake platform. Please use your bath.ac.uk, (or bath.edu if a graduate) if able when you create your profile.
Each employer will have their own schedule/s of appointments with representatives from the organisation you can speak to. There may be more than one appointments list so be sure to view all before booking any. It is extremely important you research first and only book with employers you are genuinely interested in. Employers may have multiple Group Sessions as well.
Employers will be able to view these before you meet on the day so do upload your CV too.
If you find there are no appointments available please email firstname.lastname@example.org FAO Victoria Houston or linked at bottom of this page, with the employer you are trying to book.
Remember this is a meeting - not an interview, but it may lead to one so please do prepare for each chat - see Get Prepared further down.
On the day - please be prompt moving from one employer to the next - they will also want to be timely.
On the fair days should you need assistance, please use the Careers Service Group Session room.
Go to https://app.joinhandshake.com/login to claim & set up your account and profile and start viewing booked employers.
The Fair is a fantastic opportunity to speak directly to employers, discover new career options and get inspired.
To get the most out of the Fair, make sure you are well prepared, by thinking about what you want to ask. Consider some of the following suggestions:
- Read the information provided on the platform as well as each employers appointments listings, look at their website and Careers section.
- Make written notes for each employer you book with and note their responses. It's OK to ask them for an email contact too.
- Create yourself a calendar for the day.
- Check your social media pages to ensure there is nothing there you would not want an employer to see - or 'add' what you do want them to see. Update / create a LinkedIn profile and add it to your profile for employers to see.
- Get fully dressed just as you would attending an in-person fair.
- Manage your environment - background and setting - choose a quiet location, your camera at eye level, use headphones if you can, ensure your face is well lit, do not have a window behind you, tell your housemates or family (including pets!) you are using video meetings.
- Test all equipment before the day and find where the best internet connection is if able.
- Turn off / silence your phone (unless this is the equipment you are using).
- If you have continuous meetings get yourself a drink ready.
- Introduce yourself and smile.
Look at our Adviser's top tips for preparing for the Fair and getting the most out of the event on the day.
We'll be posting live updates on our social media pages from 4th October to remind you to book your appointments.
Thanks to our sponsors for their support:
- Marshall Wace Asset Management
- Seccl Technology
- Cambridge Design Partnership
- Frazer-Nash Consultancy
- 4C Associates
- Teach First