Process improvement (July 2019)
A practical workshop for managers prompting you to think differently about practices and processes and be inspired to develop and drive improved ways of working
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in January, February, March, May, July. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
This workshop encourages innovative thinking and will teach you how to apply tried and tested process improvement techniques that can make a positive difference in the working environment.
The focus of the workshop is to provide:
- insight into a number of process improvement techniques
- an opportunity to practice the implementation of techniques to improve a real-life process in a safe environment.
Practical examples are used, including a case study based on a real-life process.
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of the session you will be able to:
- identify the key factors involved in process improvement review
- explore process improvement techniques such as mapping processes, eliminating waste and how to involve people affected by the process in the review
- learn simple data analysis tools used in process improvements
- use data analysis and other process improvement techniques to improve a case study scenario based on a real-life example from outside the sector.
This course has no pre-work.
Please let the course presenter (Phillippa Lowton) know in advance of the course if you have any access requirements, including dyslexia. The course includes a practical case study which involves some reading, so roles can be allocated depending on your needs.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- finding solutions.
- embracing change.
- using resources effectively.
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Your manager will receive an automated notification when you book or cancel a place on a course using ESS.
Book a place
Once a course date has been arranged you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). You must book a place to be able attend. Download instructions on how to book your place using ESS.
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Refreshments (drinks only) will be available from 9:15am. There will be a 30 minute lunch break; lunch is not provided.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). Download instructions on how to cancel your place using ESS.
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Related online learning and resources
University-related information and course handouts for your reference are available on: Process Champions Network wiki
Access online tools and support on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: