SDPR: Conducting an effective review-10Apr19
A mandatory course for all line managers before conducting your first Staff Development Performance Review (SDPR) at the University.
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in September, October, April, May and June. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
This workshop will enable you to conduct effective reviews for those you line manage by focusing on the purpose and principles of an effective review conversation. The course will cover:
- preparing for the review meeting
- conducting the review meeting
- key skills around using questions, active listening and feedback - techniques
- setting SMART objectives
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- explain why performance and development reviews are carried out
- describe the principles of a review meeting
- describe and demonstrate some of the skills involved in carrying out a review
- recall where to find internal training and development provision
Before attending this course you will need to:
- think about someone you will be reviewing and any recent tasks or projects they have completed, and potential performance objectives
- familiarise yourself with the relevant SDPR forms and related guidance
- complete the online ‘Staff Development & Performance Review (SDPR)’ module on Moodle (accessed via self-enrolment)
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Managing self and personal skills
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Your manager will receive an automated notification when you book or cancel a place on a course using ESS.
Book a place
Once a course date has been arranged you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). You must book a place to be able attend. Download instructions on how to book your place using ESS.
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). Download instructions on how to cancel your place using ESS.
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Related online learning and resources
Access online tools and support about recruitment and interviewing on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: