SDPR for Education and Research Staff-21May2019
A course for all staff in the Education and Research job family to help you prepare for your Staff Development Performance Review (SDPR).
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in September, January, May and June. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
The session will work chronologically through the SDPR process, explaining the aims of the different steps, and discuss some case studies that illustrate the kinds of issues and conversations that may arise. It emphasises:
- giving balanced, constructive feedback
- setting goals in the context of the department, the University and the staff member’s career
- listening and questioning
- planning for the review meeting; setting and managing the agenda
- agreeing responsibility for future actions, so that the process has long-term momentum
Intended learning outcomes
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- explain the purpose and benefits of a well-conducted staff review process
- use the documentation to focus and record the outcomes of an open, constructive discussion
- conduct a discussion meeting to review performance, give feedback, agree future objectives and development needs
This course has no pre-work.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Managing self and personal skills
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Your manager will receive an automated notification when you book or cancel a place on a course using ESS.
Book a place
Once a course date has been arranged you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). You must book a place to be able attend. Download instructions on how to book your place using ESS.
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). Download instructions on how to cancel your place using ESS.
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Related online learning and resources
Access online tools and support on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: