2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in September, October, April, May and June. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
This workshop aims to help those who are being reviewed for the first time to understand their role in this 2 way process. During the course delegates will have the opportunity to consider the objectives and benefits of performance review; explore the process and consider what they might wish to do in preparation for their review meeting. The course will cover:
- the principles of a review meeting (considering the past, present and future)
- preparing for the review meeting
- setting SMART objectives
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of the session you will be able to:
- approach the annual review with greater confidence
- explain why performance and development reviews are carried out
- describe the principles of a review meeting
- describe how you will prepare for your review meeting
- explain the reason for SMART targets
Before attending this course you will need to:
- think about a key task/project which you have completed since your last performance review (the task must have already been completed/had an outcome)
- familiarise yourself with the relevant SDPR forms for your grade and job family and the related guidance.
We also recommend that you complete the online ‘Staff Development & Performance Review (SDPR)’ module on Moodle (accessed via self-enrolment) prior to being reviewed for the first time.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Managing self and personal skills
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Your manager will receive an automated notification when you book or cancel a place on a course using ESS.
Book a place
Once a course date has been arranged you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). You must book a place to be able attend. Download instructions on how to book your place using ESS.
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). Download instructions on how to cancel your place using ESS.
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Related online learning and resources
Access online tools and support on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as:
- Preparing for my personal review meeting
- Tips for preparing your personal development plan
- Reflect, then perfect: a learning and development exercise
- Making feedback work for you
- Skills planner
Lisa Hegan, HRd Bristol
Who should attend
For staff who are about to be reviewed; would like a refresher; have previously found review meetings difficult to prepare for.