Widening Participation in Higher Education: Research Symposium
This event brings together academics, policymakers and research stakeholders to discuss findings and the future directions for widening participation research.
At the University of Bath we are researching widening participation in higher education in order to better understand the factors that promote participation from a broader range of students, and the policies and practices that enhance wider successful participation in higher education.
This half-day symposium brings together academics, policymakers and research stakeholders to discuss our findings and the future directions for widening participation research.
1.00pm: Arrival and buffet lunch
1.30pm: Welcome and introduction, Dr Matt Dickson (IPR, University of Bath)
1.35pm: Research presentations from University of Bath researchers:
- 'Socio-economic Gradients in Graduate Earnings Outcomes', Dr Matt Dickson
- 'Graduate Recruitment in Leading Finance, Accountancy, and Consulting Firms', Dr Michael Donnelly (Department of Education, University of Bath)
- 'What are good graduate jobs – values and opinions of higher education graduates in the UK and other European countries', Dr Predrag Lazetic (IPR, University of Bath)
2.25pm: Refreshment break
2.40pm: The View from the Department for Education (DfE), Natasha Hassall (Higher and Further Education Directorate, DfE)
2.50pm: The View from the Office for Students, Dr Rebecca Wallbridge (Evidence and Impact, Fair Access and Participation Directorate)
3.00pm: Research Presentations from University of Bath Post-Graduate Researchers:
- 'Existing with an Explanation: Black Students' Experiences at a Predominantly White Institution', Lateesha Osbourne
- 'Transitioning to University with Autism: Social Network and Social Support', Jiedi Lei
- 'The Geographies of Access to Elite Universities', Jo Davies
- 'Exploring Inequalities in Non-Native Access to the UK Universities', Kostas Kollydas
- 'Exploring the Role of HEIs in the Integration of Forced Migrants in the UK', Isabelle Schafer
- 'Engineering Without Maths? Are You Insane?', Seren Essex
- 'Exploring Degree Apprenticeships as a Vehicle for Widening Participation in HE', Jane Mackay
4.10pm: Roundtable discussion and next steps