University of Bath

Advice for EU students regarding Brexit

If you are an EU student concerned about possible changes to residency rules, there is information and advice here.

Where to get information and advice

Professor Peter Lambert, Pro Vice Chancellor (Teaching and Learning) has made clear the University's commitment to support all students throughout the Brexit process. However we do understand that you may have worries or concerns.

There have been concerns regarding the need for students to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI) and being worried about the possibility of being removed from the UK (or not being allowed to re-enter the country) because they do not have it. However the Home Office has reassured students who are temporarily in the UK and do not currently hold CSI that this will not happen.

You do however need to have CSI in order to have a right of residence as a student (this has not changed). The European health insurance card (EHIC) obtained from your country of residence is acceptable evidence of CSI as long as you intend your stay to be temporary. Advice on obtaining the EHIC is available from Student Services.

If your stay is to be permanent, or you are unable to get an EHIC from your country of residence, you will need to obtain separate insurance. Our Student Immigration Service has more information and full details are available from UKCISA. The website also has information (see pages 21 onwards).

If you are worried or have any questions please do visit Student Services where you can talk through your concerns with a Wellbeing Adviser or contact the Student Immigration Service.

Please note the University has committed that fees for all current EU undergraduate students (those who started their course in 2017/18 or earlier) will be the same as the UK undergraduate fee for the duration of their course. The government has also stated that EU nationals or their family members, currently in higher or further education, and who are eligible to receive loans and/or grants from SFE will continue to receive these loans and grants until they finish their course. This is also the case for students starting their course in 2018.

The government has further announced that EU national students starting a course of study in England or Wales in 2019 will be eligible for home fee status and student finance in the same way as now. Entitlement will remain in place for the duration of the course. UKCISA have also issued further advice on post-Brexit rules including information for those intending to study here in the future.

British Citizens living in Gibraltar have been assured by the government that it intends they will be eligible to pay home fees at higher education institutions in England after Brexit.

Further advice for applicants from the EU