Skip to main content
University of Bath

Advice for UK students currently on a placement, Erasmus+ or exchange scheme in the EU/EEA

Information on how leaving the European Union will impact placements, Erasmus+ and exchange schemes for UK students.

What happens if I want to travel or go home?

You can find frequently updated travel advice on the Student Immigration Service Pages.

Will I still be covered by insurance policies on this placement?

The University’s insurance covers are not affected by Brexit (with a deal or without). In the event that existing reciprocal healthcare agreements and the EHIC card become invalid, the medical expenses cover provided will operate as it does in the rest of the world – for most minor cases you would pay upfront for your consultation/prescription and claim it back. In the event of a serious situation, you would contact the Assistance company who would help to source treatment/arrange payment.

If you have arranged your own cover, you will need to ensure that your cover remains unaffected.

You can find more information on the University's insurance services pages.

Will I need to get a visa or work permit?

You can find the most recently updated advice on visa requirements for EU countries after Brexit on the government's Brexit advice pages.

How will Brexit affect my Erasmus+ or exchange scheme place?

Students from UK universities currently participating in Erasmus+, including those taking part this academic year, are not expected to be affected by Brexit.

The joint report on progress during phase 1 of negotiations, states that following withdrawal from the Union, the UK will continue to participate in Union programmes financed by the Multiannual Financial Framework 2014 - 2020, including the Erasmus+ programme.

In July 2018, the UK government extended the underwrite guarantee for certain EU programmes, including Erasmus+, covering funding applied for after the UK's exit until the end of 2020, provided that the terms under which UK organisations could be eligible for post-exit participation are agreed. This agreement of post-exit terms will form part of Brexit negotiations, and will be dependent on what decisions are reached there.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU with no agreement in place, the government’s underwrite guarantee will cover the payment of awards to UK applicants for all successful Erasmus+ bids submitted before the UK exits the EU.

Future participation in Erasmus+ will be decided as part of future partnership negotiations.

More information can be found on the Erasmus+ website.

What happens if I can't finish my placement?

For a variety of reasons, students occasionally cannot finish their placement and so the University has a policy in place for such circumstances - outlined in paragraph 10 of the Quality Assurance Code of Practice: Placement Learning.

If you have any questions about your academic circumstances, please contact your Director of Studies in the first instance who will be able to advise you further in the context of your specific degree programme.

Should I register as a resident in the country I'm living in?

Proof of residency could prove very useful in the wake of a no-deal Brexit so we highly recommend you follow the local guidelines for registration. This process will vary from country to country so please read the guidance carefully, for example in some countries it is compulsory to register after your arrival, whereas in others it is optional.

British nationals may be required to apply for a new residency card post-Brexit, but most countries will be offering a grace period in which the current residency card will be sufficient.

If you are travelling outside your destination country after 31 October, for example to return to the UK, we strongly advise you to carry your residency card along with other relevant documentation (e.g. placement agreement, contract, proof of accommodation, bank statements) in case your status as a resident is questioned at the border on your return.