Skip to main content
University of Bath

Brexit advice for staff living and working in the EU, EEA or Switzerland

Advice on what staff need to do to secure their rights after Brexit.

UK citizens

There will be no change to your rights and status as a UK national living in the EU until after the UK leaves the EU.

If there is a no-deal Brexit, your rights and how you access services will change which is why it is important that you follow the UK Government guidance for your country of residence including actions you need to take to secure your rights. As a member of staff living and working in the EU, ahead of Brexit, you should:

  • register as a resident
  • register for healthcare as a resident
  • check your passport is valid for travel
  • exchange your UK driving licence (if applicable)
  • stay up to date on Brexit – sign-up for email alerts and follow the British Embassy in your country of residence

The UK Government guidance also covers other things that you will need to consider such as residency for family members, tax payments, pensions and benefits (in the UK and EU) and so forth.

If there is a deal, you will be able to live and work in the EU broadly as you do now. If you currently live in the EU and want to move to a different EU country, you will also be able to continue to do so until the end of any implementation period. The UK Government has reached an agreement with the European Economic Area (EEA) and European Free Trade Area (EFTA) states to protect citizens’ rights whether or not there is a Brexit deal.

The rights enjoyed by UK and Irish nationals in the Common Travel Area will not be affected by Brexit. View the Common Travel Area guidance for more information.

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, what you’ll need to enter the UK will not change until 2021.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will still be able to enter the UK as you do now and live, work and study here up until 31 December 2020. To stay in the UK after this time, you will need to have applied for either the EU Settlement Scheme or European Temporary Leave to Remain (Euro TLR) dependent on your circumstances.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, Irish citizens will be able to enter, work and study in the UK without a visa as they can now.

In other cases, find out if you’ll need to apply for a visa to enter the UK.

For more information on visiting the UK after Brexit, please follow the UK Government guidance.