Skip to main content

Brexit advice for staff planning to travel to and from the UK or EU

Advice on travelling to and from the UK or in the EU, EEA and Switzerland after 1 January 2021.

Travelling in the EU, EEA and Switzerland after 1 January 2021

For advice on travelling in the EU, EEA and Switzerland after 1 January 2021, see GOV.UK.

Business travel and immigration

Business travel includes activities such as travelling for meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.

As a UK citizen travelling to the EU, EEA or Switzerland and vice versa on business you must restrict activities to what is permitted under the business visitor rules in your destination country after 1 January 2021. The visa/work permit exemption below does not provide for the right to work in the EU.

Although the UK is not a member of the Schengen Area, the EU adopted a regulation on 9 April 2019 confirming that UK citizens will be able to enter the Schengen Area for short tourism and business trips without the need for a visa/work permit for a maximum stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period after 1 January 2021.

As a UK citizen, you will need to monitor the length of time that you spend in the Schengen area but also ensure that your activities in any given country do not require a visa/work permit.

If you are travelling to a Schengen Area country, it is advised that you follow the UK Government guidance and check that your passport complies with the Schengen entry requirements using the online tool. Priority services are available for more urgent travel, at an additional fee. You should also retain evidence of the purpose of your trip (including relevant travel documentation) and proof that you can afford to cover your costs in case these are requested by national authorities.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss (except Irish) citizen resident in the UK prior to 1 January 2021 and are planning to travel to and from the UK from 1 January to 30 June 2021 and you have not yet secured pre-settlement or settlement under the EU Settlement Scheme, it is advised that you take proof of your residential address with you (in addition to your passport/national identity card) so as not to cause any delays at the border. If you have applied for pre-settlement or settlement but have not yet had your application approved, it is advised that you take the details of your application reference number with you or other documentation received from the Home Office as evidence of your application.

Travel disruption

Clarity, the University’s travel management company, has a 24-hour assistance service which is available in the event of any disruption.

If there is major disruption there may be a limit to how much help they can give so you should be prepared, with perhaps some extra clothing, a credit card to fund unexpected expenses and a charged mobile device.

For travel assistance while on University business, please contact Clarity on +44 (0)333 0102 163.

University insurance cover is unchanged by Brexit, and expenses incurred through disruption outside your control will be covered.

Driving in the EU, EEA or Switzerland

For information on driving in the EU, EEA or Switzerland after 1 January 2021, see GOV.UK.


The NHS provides information on healthcare abroad.

The University also provides insurance cover and 24-hour telephone assistance for medical care and expenses incurred as a result of sickness or injury, while overseas on University business anywhere in the world. This is not affected by the use of an EHIC card or any reciprocal arrangements.

Please register your trip before you go so we know when and where you are travelling.

For medical assistance while on University business, please contact Global Response: Tel: +44 (0)2920 662425, e-mail: