What are Climate Ambassadors?
Climate Ambassadors is a new initiative supported collaboratively by University of Reading, UKRI and STEM Learning to mobilise experts within the climate sector and support them to engage with young people and educators. It brings together partners from universities, research institutions and industry around the UK, and has been adopted as a core part of the UK government Department for Education’s Sustainability and Climate Change Strategy, published in April 2022.
As a local leader and civic institution, this project offers a number of important opportunities for the University to progress on it's Climate Action Framework by:
- forming partnerships with local community organisations to support a wider societal transition to net zero
- delivering education to equip future leaders with the skills they'll need to fight climate change in a climate-affected world
- facilitating research dissemination to wider audiences
The role of a Climate Ambassador
The Climate Ambassadors Scheme provides an exciting and meaningful opportunity for University staff and students to volunteer to work with local primary and secondary schools and support them in responding to climate change. This can be in both educating pupils about climate change and supporting schools on their own journeys to net zero.
There are a range of volunteering opportunities, tailored to the school’s identified needs and priorities, and the interests and skills of the volunteer. Examples of activities include:
- Lesson presentations or teacher training days
- Advice to school leaders or governors on cutting carbon emissions
- Working with school eco clubs
- Mentoring a Key Stage 2 or 3 school STEM club working on a STEM Learning Grand Sustainable Journey project.
- Careers Fairs
Volunteers ambassadors will be supported through an online induction as well as targeted training in small cohorts to develop their skills in communicating research with a younger audience.
These roles are voluntary and will need to be completed in your own time or with prior arrangement with your line manager.