Doctoral College Placement Support Fund for EPSRC-funded doctoral students
Apply for funding to support you to undertake a work placement or internship during your doctorate
About the fund
This fund is intended to support EPSRC-funded doctoral students, or those who are part of an EPSRC-funded CDT, who plan to undertake a work placement or internship during their doctoral studies. This new initiative is funded by the EPSRC through the National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF).
You can apply for up to £1,000 to pay for:
- accommodation whilst on placement
- travel to and from your work placement
- miscellaneous costs associated with undertaking the placement
Please get in touch for more information or to discuss an application.
How to apply
There are four rounds of funding each year.
Application deadlines for 2018/19 are:
- 9 December 2018
- 10 March 2019
- 9 June 2019
- 8 September 2019
Applications are now invited for the current round of funding which has a deadline of 9 December 2018.
If you are successful in receiving funds you would normally be expected to spend the money within 6 months.
You will be required to write a short report on how you spent the money and how you benefited from the work placement.
Terms and Conditions
The following conditions would apply:
- the scheme is open to EPSRC-funded students, or those who are part of an EPSRC-funded CDT, registered on one of the University’s doctoral programmes
- you are responsible for organising the placement and associated accommodation or travel commitments
- you must have agreement from your lead supervisor
- you are responsible for considering any health and safety issues and you are required to submit a risk assessment before any funding is granted
- you must be making good progress with your doctorate, evidenced by recent monitoring reports
- applications will be considered by the Doctoral College - decisions are final, with no right of appeal
- successful applicants will normally be informed within two weeks after the submission deadline.
- successful applicants will be required to submit a short evaluation report within one month of completion of the placement - failure to do this may result in you being asked to pay back the funding
- you may also be asked to participate in additional activities promoting the scheme
- retrospective applications made after the placement has commenced will not normally be considered
- students who have previously received funding from this scheme are ineligible for future funding through this scheme