Evolution Education Trust PhD Studentships
Find out details about PhD funding opportunities offered by the Evolution Education Trust in conjunction with the Milner Centre for Evolution.
About the Milner Centre for Evolution
The three core objectives of the Centre are:
- To research fundamental evolutionary questions.
- To apply evolutionary principals to real-world problems.
- To improve the public understanding of evolution.
The research interests of the Milner Centre are very broad, encompassing molecular processes and comparative genomics, conservation and ecology, paleobiology and evolution in deep time, and the epidemiology of microbial pathogens. Our ambition is to apply basic evolutionary principals to help mitigate the greatest global challenges, such as climate change and the rise of antibiotic resistance. Our outreach program seeks to engage the general public in raising understanding of evolutionary concepts, and to seek more effective teaching of evolution in schools at all levels.
PhD students joining the Centre will find themselves in a supportive, academically stimulating, research-intensive environment which encourages them to reach their full potential.
Two types of studentship are on offer: i) scientific projects addressing fundamental evolutionary questions (but with an outreach component), and ii) educational/outreach projects aimed at improving public understanding of evolution.
All studentships are fully funded for up to three and a half years and are available for UK and EU applicants.
A full studentship provides payment of UK/EU tuition fees, maintenance at the UKRI doctoral stipend rate (£15,009 per annum, 2019/20 rate), a generous budget for research and training as well as funds to support outreach activities.
How to Apply
Identify a project
When the scheme is open, you will be able to identify a project or projects that interest you by browsing the list of available projects, then apply through our online application system following the guidance below.
- Please apply using the online application form for the relevant PhD programme, as identified in the project advert.
- State clearly in the Finance section of the application that you are applying for an Evolution Education Trust studentship.
- In the ‘Your research interests’ section, quote the name of the lead supervisor and the project title for all projects for which are applying. If you apply for more than one project, please identify your order of preference.
- If you decide to apply for more than one project, you should upload a separate personal statement relevant to each one.
The closing date for applications for 2020 entry will be confirmed soon.
Interviews will be held in Bath, date to be confirmed.